Footage, Calls Link Man To Alston's Murder

Melissa Edwards, Senior Reporter | 11 Opinions
Published: April 04, 2017 4:41 pm AST
Murder accused Santo Yamarco Hernandez at court, April 4, 2017
Photo Credit: Melissa Edwards/BVI Platinum News
Hours before Alston Penn was found dead in a pool of blood on the roadside, there was a long call log between him and the man accused of his murder, Santo Yamarco Hernandez.

Police have also retrieved CCTV footage, which shows Penn getting into a vehicle which Hernandez was driving on the fatal night in March.

Hernandez, 38, a native of the Dominican Republic, who is charged with Penn's murder, appeared in court before Magistrate Ayanna Baptiste-DaBreo today, April 4, where he was remanded to prison.

Penn's lifeless body was found around 5:20 am on Friday, March 10, face down on the Windy Hill road in a pool of blood. He sustained extensive head injuries. Two bloodied boulders were also found at the scene.

Director of Public Prosecutions, Ms. Kim Hollis, QC, who laid out the allegations, said that phone records were obtained for Penn's phone account from March 9 and 10. She said there was heavy traffic between the phone accounts belonging to Hernandez and Penn.

Phone records showed that Penn called the defendant 22 times on March 9th, and then Hernandez later called Penn some 51 times. The final answered call was around 2:00 am on March 10.

Hollis, QC told the court that CCTV footage showed that Penn met with Hernandez hours before the murder. She said that the footage showed Penn getting into a vehicle which was driven by Hernandez around 11:00 pm in the area of a gas station, a short distance from Penn's home in East End.

She said the defendant was apparently parked, waiting on Penn.

The DPP said that the same vehicle driven by the defendant was then seen around 3:30 am in the Joe's Hill area, not too far from where Penn's body was later found.

The vehicle Hernandez was driving was loaned to him by a friend.

Hernandez then left for Santo Domingo around 1:00 pm later that day, March 10, and upon his return on Saturday, April 1, detectives arrested him at the TB Lettsome International Airport.

Police removed evidence from the crime scene, including swabs from the deceased clothing for forensic examination.

I Only See Him Around

Meanwhile, during a police interview, Hernandez initially denied speaking with Penn, claiming that he only knew him by seeing him around.

Photo Credit:
However, when he was shown the phone records and CCTV footage, he admitted that he met with Penn earlier the night, but claimed that when Penn exited his vehicle, he was fit and well. He denied being responsible for his death.

Hernandez, who has been living in the BVI for eight years, told police that he has been renting a room at Rudy's Bar since breaking up with his girlfriend recently. He visits Santo Domingo on a regular basis, where his wife and parents reside.

He works in the construction field, but is currently unemployed.

Hernandez, who is without a lawyer, was advised to seek legal aid. He will return to court on May 19.

Readers' Opinion

Please note that the opinions posted are the opinions of its author and does not reflect the views of the management, staff, parent company or sponsors of Virgin Islands Platinum News.